Tuesday, January 13, 2009

High Dive



I have been contemplating this next move for over a month now...


It's a bit like deciding to jump of the high dive...first you talk about it, a lot. Then you decide not to do it. Then your friends call you chicken. You reply with, "I'm not a chicken!" and climb out of the pool wondering why on earth you are doing what you are about to do. You stand shivering in line at the bottom thinking, "Really?! Really?!?" As you begin to ascend the ladder and walk out on the diving board, your heart begins to pound out of your chest, and then you quickly turn back and contemplate going back down the ladder. You probably repeat this process a few more times. What is the worst that could happen? Public humiliation as you belly flop? Pain? A swift rescue by the nearest lifeguard? Or maybe you enter the water smoothly, experiencing a new sense of adventure and the sweet taste of victory for conquering your fear and proving something to the doubters.


I am ready to jump.


Today represents my dive.


Only the days and months that follow will show whether I belly-flop (no pun intended) or show my grace.


I have been working for several weeks to lose weight, eat healthier, become better at taking care of myself. My goal is to be 70 pounds lighter by the Huge Family Reunion in July.


In order to motivate myself and increase my chances at success, every Tuesday I will log on and record my progress towards my goal. I WILL NOT tell everyone my current weight, but will record the number of pounds lost each week, as well as how I am doing it. I trust you to hold me accountable. Check back...let me know you are watching...and "weighting"...and holding your breath as I jump.


I have yet to come up with a catchy name for this weekly post, so if you have any ideas, I am open.


Let the diving begin.

5 comments:

Jed and Kera said...

Amanda! You are too cute! Yell if you need any help....I don't know what I could do, but am willing!

Susan said...

This is so great! You are amazing! I am sure that once our baby comes and I have to get back to reality (and in shape) I will need your advice, so I will definitely be following your progress. Good luck!!

Mary Seals said...

You GO, Amanda!! YOU CAN DO IT!!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
running with angels said...

Let me know if I can help. I wish we were closer because we could go together. I think this is an awesome idea. I was thinking about starting a running blog with same idea. That publicly stating my goals would motivate me to actually accomplish them, you have given me an idea:)!!!